Mr. Sumner is Of Counsel and provides legal counsel to trade and professional associations, other nonprofit organizations, and the meetings industry. He has also served as the CEO of trade associations.
Mr. Sumner received the Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation from the American Society of Association Executives. Mr. Sumner is a Member of ASAE, the Georgia Society of Association Executives, and Meeting Professionals International. Previously, Mr. Sumner was a former Georgia Registered Lobbyist, 1979-2008 and former Georgia Chamber of Commerce executive.
Professional Honors & Activities (current and past):
- Georgia Society of Association Executives (Board of Directors, 1983-1987; President-Elect, 1986-1987; Corporate Representative of the Year, 2004; 90 Movers & Shakers, 2008; CAE Study Group Leader; and former Governmental Affairs Committee (Chairman).
- Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys.
- Georgia Chamber of Commerce Governmental Affairs Committee.
- Georgia Forestry Association (Director, 1980-1981).
- Georgia Society of Association Executives Foundation (Founding Trustee, 1985-1988; Vice Chairman, 1985-1986).
- Leadership Georgia participant, 1986.
- Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce (Chairman, Legislative Committee).
- Governor’s Intern, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Spring 1974.
- Forestry Intern, Weyerhaeuser Corporation, Summer, 1974.
- Smart Meetings Magazine, Legal Briefs Columnist.
- University of Georgia Nonprofit Organization Management Program Lecturer.
- Georgia College & State University Nonprofit Organization Management Program Lecturer.
- University of Richmond and University of Georgia
- J.D., Georgia State University
- Admitted: GA
Back to Attorney Listing »