Mr. Hudson is engaged in patent preparation and prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and foreign patent offices in the chemical, electro-mechanical, hardware and software, and mechanical industries. He regularly counsels clients regarding obtaining, protecting, licensing and enforcing intellectual property, including providing patentability, infringement, and freedom to operate opinions. He also prosecutes and defends complex patent, trademark, and copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation litigation. Mr. Hudson has litigated cases through discovery, trial, and appeal in state and federal courts in North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri, New Jersey, Minnesota, Texas, Georgia, Idaho, and California. He also counsels clients regarding data security, trade secret, advertising, and non-competition issues, including best practices to minimize litigation risks. He regularly conducts trade secret audits and advises clients on which strategies to employ to protect their trade secrets and drafting appropriate nondisclosure and nonuse agreements for protected disclosure.
Mr. Hudson received undergraduate degrees in Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering from North Carolina State University. He received his law degree from the University of Richmond where he was the articles editor of the Richmond Journal of Law and Technology. He is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and is admitted to practice in State Courts of North Carolina and South Carolina, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Western, Middle and Eastern Districts of North Carolina and the U.S. District Court for South Carolina.
Mr. Hudson is also a frequent lecturer and author regarding intellectual property law. He authored “Architectural Designs: A Copyright Perspective” for the South Carolina Bar News and Notes Newsletter. He presented “Protecting Your Rights” at The Artist as an Entrepreneur Institute, “An Inventive Approach to Mental Health and Substance Abuse” to the North Carolina Bar Association, and served on a panel at the AIPLA 2103 spring meeting to discuss the Obama Administration’s trade secrets initiative.
Mr. Hudson is active in the Charlotte community and is past Board Chair for Historic Charlotte. He also serves on the Park Scholars Regional Selection Committee and is a member of the National Eagle Scout Foundation. He volunteers for the Arts and Science Counsel’s Volunteer Lawyers for Artists Program. Mr. Hudson is active in the American Intellectual Property Law Association and serves on the Professional Programs Committee, Patent Law Committee, and is the programs subcommittee chair of the Trade Secret Committee.
Experience and Representative Matters:
- Counsel to international polyethylene terephthalate manufacturer in utility patent and trademark matters.
- Counsel to international bipolar ionization device manufacturer in utility patent and trademark matters and patent/trademark/copyright litigation matters.
- Counsel to leading styrenic block copolymer manufacturer in utility patent and trademark matters.
- Counsel to an online brokerage firm in utility patent matters and patent infringement litigation.
- Counsel to consumer products company in utility patent and trademark matters.
- Counsel to U.S. automaker in utility patent matters.
- Counsel to national child car seat company in utility patent matters.
- Counsel for international gas valve company in utility patent matters.
- Counsel to cell phone component manufacturer in utility patent matters.
- Represented industrial wire manufacturer in trade secret misappropriation lawsuit.
- Represented a carpet manufacturer in a patent infringement lawsuit.
- As lead counsel, defended a wholesale chemical supplier in a trade secret misappropriation lawsuit.
- As lead counsel, defended a restaurant chain in a trade secret misappropriation lawsuit.
- As lead counsel, represented a leading international personality assessment company in a copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation lawsuit.
- As lead counsel, defended a national distributor of commercial electronic devices in a patent infringement lawsuit.
- As lead counsel, defended a national chain of travel centers in a trademark infringement lawsuit.
- As lead counsel, defended a southeastern farm products supplier in patent infringement lawsuit.
Get A Consultation With An Attorney Today
With offices in Charlotte, NC & Atlanta, GA, we maintain an extensive network of foreign associates in order to meet the global needs of any client.